1. Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years in prison.
- Manning is the Army private responsible for leaking documents of war crimes committed by the US & its allies to Wikileaks. Note that the documents he leaked would be declassified in 25 years – yet he gets 35. More on his trial and sentencing here.
- Manning’s sentence was reduced by 112 days due to his pre-trial treatment by the US military. He had been locked in solitary confinement, stripped naked & exposed to extreme temperatures such that the UN deemed it torture.
- The Canadian Civil Liberties Association released a statement expressing concernts w/r/t to Bradley Manning & free speech.
- Canadians John Greyson & Tarek Loubani are being held in prison in Cairo with no charges.
3. Climate change
- A recent report shows that Vancouver is near the top of the list of cities to be wiped off the face of the earth due to climate change.