- Latest revelations from Glenn Greenwald (using documents leaked by Edward Snowden) show that the NSA spends millions of taxpayer cash to fund programs designed to hack into the encryption software of “the big Four” – Hotmail, Google, Facebook, & Yahoo.
- In response, legislation is being proposed by Rep. Rush D. Holt Jr.
- New documents show the NSA’s targeting of Mexican & Brazilian presidents.
- Hours ago, the Egyptian military government attacked what they described as “Islamic militants” in the Sinai.
- In an eerie echo of Morsi’s government, the military regime has decided to “dissolve” the opposition Muslim Brotherhood.
- Egyptian Minister of the Interior survives assassination attempt.
- Tony Burman on why bomibng Syria is a bad idea (& what can be done instead).
- EU urges the US to reconsider its position on Syria; Catherine Ashton correctly observes that an attack would be a “violation of international law.”
- Stephen Harper, ever the US’s obedient dog, makes the case for military attacks in Syria.
- A powerful new documentary, “Life After Gitmo” remains unavailable to viewers in the United States:
5. Quebec values Charter
- Good piece on the PQ’s proto-facistic new legislation.
- Apparently, according to Frau Marois, people “in England…throw bombs at each other because of multiculturalism.”
6. Keystone XL Pipeline
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper sends Obama a personal letter offering joint action to reduce greenhouse emissions, in an effort to “win” the pipeline.